The Pastor - Ministry Mayhem

 The Pastor
A sermon series

Trying to meet people's needs is what this whole thing is about.

In the last message there were a few loose ends we left untied.
There was also an underlying theme and word that did not get much attention.
I focused a lot on the title, "pastor", and sought to give it the proper explanation.
But, there was another title mentioned that is commonly given to someone in this role.
The title is minister.

How many of you reading have said that famous line, "Have you met our new minister?"
How many times have we said that word without really understanding what it means?
Minister. We call someone in this pastoral role a minister, but it's not a formal, proper title.
We refer to the leader of the church as Pastor or Reverend so & so, not Minister so & so.
In some weird way, we try to use it as a proper title, but its not technically a title as much as definition.

"I am a minister" 
"This our minister"
"Have you heard the new minister at the Methodist church?"

I'm willing to bet most people have never actually taken the time to find out what that word means.
We need to see some definition here.
I've got to say, I was thrown a curve here. Really opened my eyes.

Definition of MINISTER

1: agent
2 a : one officiating or assisting the officiant in church worship
   b : a clergyman especially of a Protestant communion
3 a : the superior of one of several religious orders —called also minister-general
   b : the assistant to the rector or the bursar of a Jesuit house
4: a high officer of state entrusted with the management of a division of governmental activities
5 a : a diplomatic representative (as an ambassador) accredited to the court or seat of government of a foreign state
   b : a diplomatic representative ranking below an ambassador

The word has always had a political nature to it.
Since it came into the lexicon during the 14th century, being a minister has always had that 'representative' nature to it.
As minister, I 'represent' this church, this congregation, this denomination.
Just as the definition suggests, there is a 'diplomatic' nature to this role, the minister.

But, right away, the first line, the single word, line1....the word - agent - it jumps off the page.
Much of the definition of 'agent' has no religious feature.
Ah, but some of it does...

Definition of AGENT

1: one that acts or exerts power
2 a : something that produces or is capable of producing an effect : an active or efficient cause
   b : a chemically, physically, or biologically active principle
3: a means or instrument by which a guiding intelligence achieves a result
4: one who is authorized to act for or in the place of another: as
  a : a representative, emissary, or official of a government agent
> agent>
  b : one engaged in undercover activities (as espionage) : spy agent>
  c : a business representative (as of an athlete or entertainer) agent>
5: a computer application designed to automate certain tasks (as gathering information online)

Wow. Have any of us really taken the time to think of our pastor, our minister, as an agent?
An agent of God. I stand here before you to speak on God's behalf.
I am God's spokesperson. The Apostle Paul felt fully confident in calling himself just that.
Romans 1:1
Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God
1 Corinthians 1:1
Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God
 Galatians 1:1
Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead

Paul was an agent. An agent of the Living God. An official representative who had the authority to speak freely on this subject, not because he, Paul, felt he knew something.
Paul would always give props to the Almighty.
Paul would never say that he somehow 'accepted' or called himself into ministry.
He was "sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father".

What else would Paul say about this work called 'ministry'?
The word, itself, is only used 3 times in the Old Testament in the NIV.
The word seems to take on a new life in the context of the New Testament.

2 Corinthians 5:17-19

New International Version (NIV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

OK. We really need to see what this word means, as it is another form in which minister comes from.
Webster's kind of let me down. I was expecting to see something special, but really, all I got was more governmental jargon. Line 2 was self explanatory.

Definition of MINISTRY

2: the office, duties, or functions of a minister
3: the body of ministers of religion : clergy

OK, maybe I missed something back on the page for "minister", so I went back to look.
AND, I found that I didn't scroll down far enough....

Definition of MINISTER

 intransitive verb
1: to function as a minister of religion
2: to give aid or service <minister to the sick>
AH HA! That's what I was looking for!
The words minister and ministry are often used as nouns. 1st person descriptions.
We often call someone a minister or say their job is ministry
But, the word can also be used as a verb, an action, this is what I do
I'm here to meet peoples needs.

Oh, Good Lord, I feel as if I should start all over and preach another message.
This avenue opens a door that I could rant and rave about for hours.
This also allows me to reach back into the last message and bring something out I said we would come back to and touch on.

The word 'pastor' found its origins in the 14th century, from French origins with the word pascere - to feed. Webster's also wanted us to go see the word - "food".
Why do you think that is? Let your brain and your hearts wrap itself around all of this.
Let is settle on you as the Lord shows us what His purposes are for us.

We are here, as the church, to meet peoples needs. To do ministry.
As the pastor, I am here to meet people needs. I am a minister.
To be in ministry means to be at work meeting peoples needs.
Now, how often have we missed this message that God is trying to show us?
He met the needs of the whole world, all at once, by sending His One and Only Son, to die on a cross, for our sins. That was our need. We needed something to make up for our sin. God paid the price for us, because that was our need. And, He met it.

Paul said he was given the ministry of reconciliation.
The need there was to communicate to others that they could be reconciled, brought back to a right relationship with God. People need forgiveness. People need mercy. People need love.
All of that goes into helping people to be reconciled. That was Paul's ministry.

Here's another thing to note, one thing from our message here and one thing from the last message.
Minister is also used an an intransitive verb.
You either cannot transfer or there is nothing to transfer here. We meet needs in people's lives.
But, the word pastor as was mentioned before is used as a transitive verb.

Definition of PASTOR

  transitive verb
: to serve as pastor of (as a church) 
Now, wait a minute. I don't transfer anything as I minister, but i can transfer the role of pastor?
What? Here an awesome concept that we all need to wrap our souls around.

Have you ever seen the movie Pay It Forward? Haley Joel Osment was the boy.
A middle school student given an assignment to go forth and change his world.
The teacher (Kevin Spacey) gave it not thinking that anybody would put much effort into it.
You have to be a dead, cold, hardhearted person to not see an illustration of Christ in the life of that little boy in the movie. As he gives his life for a kid getting beat up at school, I remember thinking, "Wow, do the makers of this film actually realize what they are saying here?"
Everybody whose life was touched by that one boy was changed forever.
And, in turn, they had to go forth and touch somebody else.
And, each person they touched had to go forth, and on and on.

I can transfer the role of pastor to you.
I am here to feed you, to meet your needs.
Now, you go forth and meet someone else's needs.

Here's where I could rant and rave.
Too often in the church our clergy get to caught up in the title in front of their name.
People called in to ministry seem to take to much to heart the 'representative' role, the 'political' nature of this office of pastor as they seek to lead the church. Too often, people in ministry act like "the boss" of the church. The outcome being that there is a self-centered focus upon the title. We want people to respect us simply because of the title given to us. How exactly are we meeting others needs like this? To often, the pastor is simply concerned with how the church is meeting their needs instead of being concerned with meeting the needs of others.

I cannot emphasis this point strongly enough. The church is not a business. There might be some aspects from the business world that serve as good analogies for how things can be done in the church. But, this is not a business. I am not "the boss". As pastor, I am not here to boss you around, to tell you what to do and how to do it. In our church experience, haven't too many of us already been down that road? I know I have. Our focus here needs to be upon the Almighty God. He alones gives us direction and purpose. When I went into ministry I resolutely sent my focus on NOT being like so many of the examples I had previously seen. I want to meet people's needs. I want people to come to know Christ. And, that's not going to happen because I tell people what to do. It will happen when I, as pastor & christian, get in touch with the notion that Jesus set forth for His own ministry. He referred to himself frequently as "The Son of Man" - the servant role. He was "The Son of God". He ruled the universe. But, he took the lowliest of roles upon His shoulders. And, he asks us to do the same. "Take up your cross...follow me"

I am not here in this place as pastor to boss folks around. No one will follow if I approach it that way.
I came to lead. But, how will I lead? By doing it the way I believe Jesus did it. By serving. By giving what I have, to you and to the people of the community around us. In leading this way, all I can do is hope you see what it is I am doing and want to follow. I'm not going to beat you over the head. I'm not going to tell you what to do. I am going to point in the direction God wants us to go and encourage you to follow.

There is so much more I want to say here. There is so much more I could go on about.
But, maybe it is best left for another message.
Rome wasn't built in a day. The church isn't turned into a bunch of pastors and minister over night.
It has taken many years for myself to get to this place where I am willing to be used by Him to meet peoples needs and not worry so much about myself.
And, there is still so much more to do. In my soul, in the church, in the world.

The pastor is just a piece of the pie. He/she is just one person a world full of people seeking to follow Christ. The pastor's role is to give people the tools they need to be equipped to do ministry. The pastor is not here to do ministry him/her self. The pastor is not just here to do whatever he/she wants. There is a definitive profile to follow. The pastor is not here to worry about how he/she own needs are being met. The pastor is here to meet the needs of others. And, in turn help others to see that they can go forth and meet others needs. To pay if forward. To pass it on. To encourage others to follow as he/she is following Christ.

1 Corinthians 11:1

New International Version (NIV)
11 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.